Many of these organizations have local or regional offices where you can obtain information specific to the Newaygo area. Feel free to contact any of them with your questions or concerns.

The Nature Conservancy is an international conservation organization dedicated to the preservation of global biodiversity. In Brooks Township, TNC's priorities include the preservation and restoration of dry-sand prairie remnants. TNC works with private landowners and managers of public lands in their efforts.

Brooks Township has a formal partnership with TNC for the ongoing management of the Coolbough Natural Areas. TNC's West Michigan office coordinates volunteer work days on the Coolbough Natural Areas and other priority lands. Contact them at their Grant Rapids office at 616-766-0230 for more information. You can also reach the Michigan Chapter of TNC at their Lansing office at 517-332-1741.

The Land Conservancy of West Michigan (LCWM) is a local, non-profit organization that preserves natural lands and open space in West Michigan. LCWM works with landowners to permanently protect lands that are important for their values as habitat for native plants and animals, as centers for study and quiet recreation, and as elements of scenic beauty and rural character. If you are a landowner and want to permanently protect your property, the LCWM may help you secure income, estate and/or property tax benefits for doing so. Contact the LCWM in Grand Rapids at (616) 451-9476 for more information.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources website is a good place for information on forest and wildlife management, hunting and fishing, recreational information and more. The DNR can be reached at their regional office in Cadillac at 231-775-9727.

The DNR website has a "Wildlife and Habitat" that provides good information for landowners. Included is an online version of the popular guide Managing Michigan’s Wildlife: A Landowners Guide. This guide includes information on managing lands for particular wildlife species, as well as managing specific land types like forests, grasslands, and prairies. Click here to view it.

The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality website contains important information and regulations relating to Michigan’s environment. The DEQ can be reached at their Grand Rapids District office at 616-356-0500.

Inland lakes management is of particular concern to Brooks Township residents. The DEQ websites contains pertinent information on inland lakes management, aquatic nuisance plant control, and the Cooperative Lakes Monitoring Program. Click here to go directly to the inland lakes section of the DEQ website.

The Michigan Lakes and Streams Association website has valuable information for shoreline property owners. Included on this website are links to “The Michigan Riparian” website and the Michigan Waterfront Alliance, Inc. website, all of which are focused on the concerns of Michigan’s riparian property owners. You can also find out more information about the Cooperative Lakes Monitoring Program.

This is the website for the North American Lake Management Society. For lakeside residents, this is another source of lake management information. Included on this website is the NALMS Bookstore, which is a source of books and other documents to add to your lake management library.

Even though Newaygo is miles upstream from Lake Michigan, activities in this part of Michigan can definitely impact Lake Michigan and the other Great Lakes. Lake Michigan Federation (LMF) provides information on threats, concerns and protection activities in the Lake Michigan basin. The Michigan office of LMF can be contacted in Grand Haven at 616-850-0745.

Michigan State University Extension is a clearinghouse for information and educational materials relating to agriculture, water quality, wildlife, and much more. You can search for many topics right from their main page, or you can contact their local office in Fremont at 231-924-0500 for more information.

The Michigan Association of Conservation Districts is a non-profit organization that represents Michigan’s 82 Conservation Districts. Through this website, you can access Newaygo Conservation District’s website, as well as learn more about the conservation programs and assistance available to you. Additionally, you can contact the Newaygo Conservation District at their Fremont office at 231-924-2060 for more information.

The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) has good information pertaining to many conservation topics, including agricultural conservation programs and backyard conservation. NRCS can be reached locally in Fremont at 231-924-2060.

This is the website for the region of the U.S. Forest Service of which Newaygo County is a part. This is a particularly good site for information on the Manistee National Forest, as well as the endangered and threatened plants and animals that can be found in our region of the country. The USFS can be reached at their local office in Baldwin at 231-745-4631.

The Isaak Walton League of American is a national conservation organization, but their website has lots of information that can be used locally. Of particular interest is the information they have regarding stream and river monitoring and restoration. This is a good resource for anyone interested in stream and river water quality.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is loaded with valuable information on numerous environmental topics. Plus, they have a number of excellent publications that can be ordered free of charge right from their website. For example, educators can order (or view online) many environmental activities and curriculum materials right on the website, while others interested in lake restoration or stream monitoring can order guidance manuals and reference materials. Check out these specific EPA sites for more information.

Get online information about your particular watershed. If you don’t know what watershed you live in, you can type in your address and the computer will do the rest.

This is the EPA’s Office of Water website – lots of water quality information.


This is the EPA’s Region 5 website (Michigan is in Region 5). This website contains EPA information specific to Region 5. Or, you can contact the EPA directly at their regional office in Chicago toll free at 1-800-621-8431.

The North Country National Scenic Trail is a premier footpath that one day will stretch more than 4,000 miles to link communities and wilderness areas from New York to North Dakota. The North Country Trail Association (NCTA) is a nonprofit organization that works in partnership with the National Park Service to build, maintain, and promote the North Country National Scenic Trail. Brooks Township has partnered with the West Michigan Chapter of the NCTA to route a section through the Coolbough Natural Areas. Visit the NCTA's website for trail maps, activities and more information about the trail.

Grand Valley State University's Annis Water Resources Institute, with the participation of many partners, has embarked on an assessment of the Muskegon River Watershed. This site contains information about the Muskegon River Watershed Project, and links to other sites of interest concerning water quality.

This site contains information about the Muskegon River Watershed Ecological Assessment Project, headed by Michigan State University. Ultimately, the purpose of this project is to "aid in the development of communities in such a way as to minimize the disturbances brought on the natural ecosystems, thereby ensuring their continued functions." This site will eventually include "clickable ecosystems", allowing internet users to obtain current watershed information and data from permanent monitoring stations.

The mission of the Muskegon River Wwatershed Assembly is to preserve, protect and enhance the natural, historic and cultural resources of the Muskegon River Watershed through educational and scientific initiatives, while supporting positive economic development, agricultural and quality of life initiatives of organizations working in the river watershed. This site contains valuable watershed information, maps, and updates on the most recent watershed activities.

[Land Use Vision ] [ Volunteer Activities ] [Coolbough Nautral Areas ]
Environmental Library ] [ Educational Resources ] [Conservation Links]
Contact Us ] [Brooks Main Page ]